Sunday, September 18, 2011

Destination Procrastination

On Fridays, I have a break between my internship and my last shift of the week. Perfect time, I'm sure, to get some work done before relaxing this afternoon. After all, there was reading to do for American Lit, worksheets for Chinese, etc. etc. But I hit my quota of motivation/energy for the day. I was, as per usual, in desperate need of a nap. And my cheap coffee maker failed me. It was a perfect storm of exhaustion and procrastination, as you can imagine.

In happier news, there was free, delicious cake at work. I brought a slice home with me, letting it slide about in the passenger seat. Thankfully, no frosting was harmed. And in the evening, I reunited with some old friends at the English department picnic. More free food. Another slice of free cake. And a free book!

Every year, the department chooses one book for "One Book, One Department." If you so choose to accept a free book, in return you attend discussion groups at professor's homes. It is, in the words of Professor Rienstra: "All the best things of an English class without the tests and papers." This year, in honor of the Festival of Faith and Writing this spring, the department decided to shake things up and do "One Festival, One Department." Instead of choosing one book, they chose four, each by an author attending the festival. I chose The Butterfly Mosque, by G. Willow Wilson.


I'm very excited, as I wanted to read this book and her graphic novel, Cairo, but was unable to do so because of my ever-changing address situation. It's too bad Amazon can't keep up with my semi-nomadic lifestyle, but I got a free book. All's well that ends well, as they say.

Hallie and I had a girl's morning. We went to Old Navy in search of clothes, the used book store for books, and Target for...what have you. Hallie walked away with a dress, I'm so happy to say. I completely missed my targets (tee hee), a winter coat and a coffee maker, and bought an owl purse (yes, you read that right), sunglasses, and colorful socks. All in all, a successful morning/early afternoon. And in the evening, I got roped into playing bocce ball with Hallie and some of the guys from Alpha. I'm sure we made an interesting spectacle as we wandered the KE grounds, tossing deceptively heavy balls around. We finished off the evening with a "love story," The Expendables. A very successful day.

Today (Sunday), I managed to remember to replace my coffee maker. I'm so excited that I'm drinking coffee past 6 PM just to enjoy having it again. I will rue this decision later, but for now, the caffeine high is making me very insouciant. 

The biggest news in Alpha 5 is the betrothal, engagement, what have you, of roomie/friend Elisabeth to upstairs neighbor/friend Chris! He did a very decent job at proposing (but, I have to admit, not so well at recounting the story), and we were all very, very giggly. This is a whole new experience for all of us, as Elisabeth is the first of us to take the plunge (brave girl), and we're very happy to be a part of it.

The semester adventures continue! What will happen next?

1 comment: