Monday, June 13, 2011

Out of My Element

Last night, my aunt gave me my twenty-first birthday present, a silver bracelet from Egypt. It says, in Arabic, "my eyes love you." My eyes love you. I think that's a beautiful phrase. When you love someone or something, it's that look, in the eyes, on wedding days and birthdays and every other day of the week. When hands are held and hugs are given and tears are shed, there's that look. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, they say, and that's when the eye is changed by love.

And then there's another meaning. There's something of certain people, something that they have. The French phrase for it, which I am painstakingly teaching to my mother, is "je ne sais quoi." Literally, it means "I don't know what." Confidence, charisma, the X factor, "it," what have you. Some people have it, that mysterious allure of personality that overshadows almost everything else. It makes the eyes love.

So I leave you with that, and the love of my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment