Saturday, June 4, 2011

Blockbusters and Old Favorites

I love movies. I love television. I don't always have the greatest taste in either, to be honest. It doesn't work out for my friends and family, who have learned (or probably should soon) to take my opinions with a shaker of salt. But it works out really well for me, because I generally have a good time when others shake their heads and mutter about filters (I didn't notice Order of the Phoenix was entirely blue until someone told me) and lens flares (which I can forgive, because it's J.J. Abrams). Those low standards of mine particularly apply to action-y and/or sci-fi/fantasy movies. Superheros, dragons, spies, and wizards can battle to their hearts' content, and I'm usually satisfied. (For exceptions to this rule, see Eragon.)

So, because it's summer and I love action movies and my brother is in town for my big 2-1 tomorrow, the two of us went with my dad to see X-Men: First Class. I have soft spots for Jennifer Lawrence (Mystique) after seeing Winter's Bone and Michael Fassbender (Magneto) for Inglorious Basterds and Jane Eyre, and they're in a superhero movie, so I knew that I would like it. Thankfully, I needed no defense this time. It was funny (Hugh Jackman's cameo is hysterical), somewhat character-driven, and Magneto lifts a frickin' submarine out of the ocean. Enough said.

I've also been watching my favorites, "oldies" that haven't grown, well, old. I spent the past week on a mini-marathon of Firefly and Serenity. And now, I'm revisiting a summer tradition: a disjointed Lord of the Rings marathon. Extended editions, of course. So, while Gandalf scolds his young hobbit companions and Theoden delivers morbid monologues, I write, comforted by the familiar dialogue and masterful soundtrack. There are worse ways to while away a lazy summer evening.

Another old favorite, which I haven't been able to enjoy in its full glory for two years, is Chick-fil-A. I've had it twice in the past three days, and I'm already planning on bringing some with me when school starts again. I wonder if I can freeze the chicken nuggets...

No comments:

Post a Comment