Saturday, June 25, 2011

On the Road Again...

I am having the summer of grand adventures. Hilton Head was fun, full of sunshine, surprise storms, ice cream, and raspberry lemonade. And, for Father's Day, we went to the Outer Banks, a string of islands along the coast of North Carolina. While other families go for a beach vacation, we went for a history lesson. Roanoke Island was home to one of the first English colonies, funded by Sir Walter Raleigh, and birthplace of the first English child born on American soil. The colonists also disappeared, never to be seen of or heard from again. Hence the name, "The Lost Colony." But my favorite part of Roanoke was the Elizabethan Gardens, created in the 50's. The flowers were beautiful, particularly the hydrangeas. Hydrangeas are my favorite flower, and the ones in North Carolina are the gorgeous, deep blue/purple blossoms variety that I adore.

And now I am in Athens, Georgia, where I spent all four years of high school, waiting on the brink of my next adventure. I am excited and anxious all in one, and this makes me a bit difficult to handle, I'm sure. I've visited some of my old stomping-grounds, including Borders and the Atlanta Highway Chick-fil-A. I've also tried some new things, like cupcakes from Gigi's (I love, love, love cupcakes) and wine from Shiraz (I felt very grown up). So I'm keeping busy-ish. It's odd, being back. I haven't been in Athens for two years, so everything is either nostalgically familiar or discordantly new. I don't usually get to go back to places I've lived, so it's a very strange experience. But it's not an unpleasant one, so hopefully I'll be able to repeat it in the future. So, until Tuesday, Athens is my grand adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment