Saturday, March 26, 2011

Outslay Way

Outslay Way. That is the name of one of the streets in Midland Park, NJ, hometown of my roommate Heather. You may now commence your moment of silence in condolences for her, poor, unfortunate soul...

...and now we're back. It is spring break for Calvin, and, instead of going somewhere warmish and sunny, I am outside of NYC, where it is currently hailing/raining. But c'est la vie, and I go to school in West Michigan. A little gray weather isn't going to get me down. We went to The Late Show with some friends, Wonderland on Broadway, the Metropolitan Museum, and, because I am a complete child, the Central Park Zoo.

Some tidbits...
At the Met, as Heather and I marveled over a wondrous Roman mosaic transported from Israel, there was a sudden clatter. What could it be? Oh no! A preteen girl has dropped her camera! But what has happened? Oh no! Behold: a Duracell battery rolls across the ancient tiles, settling in a blemish caused by the ravages of time. "Mom?" she asks. "Should I go get it?" Thankfully, the security guard prevented the klutzy tween from walking across the priceless mosaic to retrieve a AA battery.

A man trying to raise money for homeless shelters also attempted to hook either Heather or I or both of us up with our friend Arnold. By calling Heather and I "hot babes" and Arnold "big guy," and having us link arms, he definitely earned some money for his cause.

When shoe shopping, the saleswoman commented that I need a tan. Yes, I am rather pale. Ghostly, even. Translucent, luminous, what have you. I am readily aware of this. I'm not particularly offended by people's judgment, but it's rather odd to hear it from a complete stranger. Especially from someone trying to sell me something-- isn't she supposed to be buttering me up or something?
I did buy the shoes, though. I guess the joke's on me.

Anywho, that's about it. It was a 12 hour drive back from New Jersey, and I'm tired. But it's good to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment