Monday, February 14, 2011

Single Awareness Day

Hi, my name is Alicia and I'm a Single Person.

Unfortunately, I don't have an official support group. I'm sure my friends and family would love to share the burden of my issues with others, but they've what I've got. And now it's Valentine's Day. As a single person, I should be preparing to drown myself in wallowing. After all, as a good Christian girl in a school with Freshman Frenzy and Senior Scramble, how could I not have a serious relationship this late into my junior year? How am I going to be worth anything to the church if I'm not a wife and mother by the time I'm 30? Oh Lord, what will I do if I turn into a crazy cat lady?

As ridiculous as this sounds, it's something I have to deal with. And my friends and family can bear witness to my struggle, the oscillation between: "I'm fine just the way I am. I don't need anyone." and "I hate this. What's wrong with me?" So, in order to remind myself that, yes, I am (and will be) fine as I am, I've decided to write another list.

Why is Alicia OK with being single?
1. I can spend my Saturdays watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer in my PJ's with no makeup on, just because I can and I don't have anything else to do. (True story.)
2. I can have the nerdiest man-wall ever, and not realize the inadequacies of my significant other in comparison to these paragons of masculinity. (I mean, who can compare with Captain Mal Reynolds or Han Solo? Or Aragorn? Or Dr. Who?)
3. I only inflict my renditions of Disney or Broadway classics on my roommates, who can resort to headphones. (Why yes, I am currently singing "On My Own" from Les Mis.)
4. I can watch "Say Yes to the Dress" and no one thinks I'm implying something.
5. No one but me fuels my caffeine and chocolate consumption. (As much as I hate to admit it, my cheapskate-ness at the grocery store is the only thing standing between me and serious weight gain.)
6. I can keep my story to myself without hurting his feelings. I'm not ready to share it with just anyone.
7. As strange as this may sound, but I actually appreciate that I pay for things myself. I hate it when other people spend what I see as an excess amount of money on me, even family members. I wasn't spoiled growing up, so I'm not sure how to handle it. (Bonus- I'm a cheap date.)
8. I can keep my raunchy sense of humor. I know, I should be grown-up and dignified, but a good "that's what she said" joke sends me into a fit of giggles. I'm working on my language, which may be helping.
9. I'm sure that I do things for me, not for others. I know this sounds selfish, but I have dreams and goals that I'm not sure I want to give up for anyone less than God Himself. I want to lose some weight (for me), travel the world (where I want to go), and so on.

So this is my list so far. Unfortunately, Japanese class calls again. But really, I love this list. I love how it reminds me of me, who I am without someone. And these items might seem stupid, I know, but I'm kind of a stupid person sometimes.
-Momo

No comments:

Post a Comment