Tuesday, February 1, 2011

And It Begins

Yesterday was the first day of class. A 7:00 AM wakeup call followed by four classes, all syllabi and introductions. Even after three years, the first day is always a bit of a blur. New names, new faces, new rooms, and homework. Exhausted, disoriented, and a little defiant towards the system that requires me to sit in one place and ignore the distractions.

Yes, I know, I chose this. I accept my part in it.

I also managed to set up and install my printer all by my very lonesome. Those familiar with my superpower of killing technology (has anyone else fried a motherboard with nothing but a pair of headphones? Anyone?) will be suitably impressed with my ability to follow a simple, step-by-step process (there were even pictures!).

But the end of the day...that was the beautiful part. Olafur Arnalds, Icelandic musician and composer, played a gorgeous concert in our Fine Arts Center. I've been listening to his eerily beautiful creations, all instrumental with a few electronic effects thrown in, since last semester. I don't know exactly what I expected from his live show, but it was more. It was beautiful, amazing, pull-out-your-thesaurus-for-more-adjectives wonderful. I dressed up for the concert in my Dorothy Perkins shirt and my Salvation Army skirt, and it was worth the walk through freezing Michigan temperatures in heels and nylons to enjoy beauty whilst feeling beautiful. And, because this is a tiny campus, waiting around chatting with friends led to a brief conversation with Olafur himself. He was unassuming and humorous, and is officially my favorite artist. Check him out.

Day Two of classes has passed as well. Two classes, no biggies. And I'm applying for two academic summer programs- one in England and one in Italy. It appeases my parents, who will probably make me work fast food or retail this summer, and if I actually get in- hey, I get to go abroad again. Win, win, n'est pas? And tonight, Snowcaplypse (not my name, I swear) 2011 strikes Michigan, as well as half of the United States. We'll see if school is actually canceled. Due to the ridiculously pitiless administration, my university hasn't been canceled for snow in years. So we'll see.

Stock up on your bread and milk, ladies and gents! Or, rather, stock up on your coffee and ramen, college students!

With love, your local Pathetic Blogger.

No comments:

Post a Comment