Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Emptying the Freezer

I had ice cream for breakfast today. Actually, it was Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie frozen yogurt, but I quibble. My excuse was my need to empty the freezer of my leftover foodstuffs. What a delicious, delicious excuse.

My mom came yesterday. It was the first time I'd seen her in four months, but don't worry-- I managed not to cry. We lugged some boxes and suitcases into the trusty station wagon, using the highly-developed technique I like to call "strategically cramming." We still have a few boxes and bags to go, but it's almost done. I am almost moved out of my apartment. I am almost done with my junior year. I am almost ready to start my summer.

I have to admit, it's a more than slightly terrifying prospect. This summer is going to be crazy. My parents are moving. I'm going to Italy and Sweden. I'm turning 21. I'm one step closer to being an actual adult, and a huge step away from my childhood as a Navy brat. (Insert jokes about my bratty temperament here.) I can picture (ha!) the Lifetime movie now, some trite bildungsroman about a girl trying to find herself in a single summer.

Summer's not long enough for that, but it's still going to be an adventure. And I'm excited/terrified to jump right into it. It may not involve swords, sorcery, spaceships, or Nathan Fillion (except for Castle and Firefly reruns), but it will definitely be full of escapades and exploits and some ordinary fun.

1 comment: