Friday, June 14, 2013

Up, Up, and Away

I got on a plane the morning of June 4. Just after midnight on June 6, I had country-hopped all the way to Singapore. It wasn't long before I ran into a familiar set of red, red bangs and a bright smile.

What a great face to be greeted by!
We took a taxi back to her apartment in Upper Bukit Timah (I quickly learned that the correct pronunciation is "bu-kee," not "bucket.") After trying to get over the surreality of my being there (it never completely went away), I washed away my travels, and we went to bed.

We never fail to find a Starbucks for conversation and a little goofing off.

We started off our week-long adventure with a bus trip to Holland Village, a part of the city where Dutch settlers used to live. After some quick errands, we found our way to a Starbucks, where we discussed life, writing, and Singapore over iced chai lattes. Since I hadn't adjusted to the heat and humidity yet, I already needed that refreshing break.

Then it was off on the MRT to Orchard Road

Orchard Road is the main shopping district of Singapore--since I haven't been to Rodeo Drive and only breezed by Fifth Avenue, I'm not sure if I can draw a familiar comparison. We strolled down the street, eating ice cream, taking photos, watching street performers, and laughing at some of the ridiculous billboards.

Leonardo DiCaprio Limited Edition Tag Heuer Aquaracer Watch   tag heuer
How is Leo supposed to win on Oscar when he can't even wear a watch correctly? (Photo source: www.ablogtowatch.com)    



After a nice walk, we stopped inside one of the malls, and soon found a familiar face. As Benedict Cumberbatch apparently objects to the fangirl term "Cumberb****," Sanna and I consider ourselves members of the "Cumber-Collective."


We had a late lunch, talked some more about our writing, and did a bit wistful shopping. Then, with night falling, we went across the street to Peranakan Place. Peranakans are descendants of immigrants who intermarried with Malay natives, and have a distinct culture of their own. 


Many of these buildings are now bars and restaurants--while we were a little early for the busy crowd, we did decide to celebrate my birthday a little late by going inside anyway. I had my first pina colada (after getting caught in the rain on a tropical island, what else could I choose?), and Sanna bewildered the bartender by requesting a Shirley Temple. Unfortunately, he was so bewildered that he didn't actually make her a proper one. She had to content herself with a multitude of extra cherries.


After such a full day, we took ourselves back to her apartment, the first day of our adventure drawing to a late close.

2 comments: