Friday, October 19, 2012

The List

So in a recent-ish post, I talked about life on the reading list. It keeps getting longer and longer--having wonderfully avid readers for friends and family means I keep getting recommendations. And, yes, I pay attention to them. And, yes, I have a habit of buying myself books. In the grand scheme of things, books are a cheap vice. Especially when one buys them used on Amazon, works in a publishing company, and has a library card. Or when one goes to a used book sale and walks away with 15 books (only 3 of them previously read) for $14...

It was a proud moment.

But, awhile back, as I waited rather impatiently for the arrival of yet another book, I realized that I should probably take stock of the books I own and have not yet read. And, for the reasons stated above, the number was hefty.

Hi, my name is Alicia, and I have a problem. 

To be honest, I'm not actually concerned with the number of books that I own--I think the Beast's gift to Belle of his library is the epitome of love, and it's a gift that I've always wanted for myself. But I'm not waiting for a fairy tale to get that library when I can read one from my very own leather-bound copy of Grimm's Fairy Tales (true story). To me, every book I buy is an investment in my happiness.

So, the list--how does it work? To get myself started, I used one of those ubiquitous "100 Books Everybody Should Read" lists--I think this particular one is either from The Guardian or the BBC. That helped (and still helped) me cover the classics, as well as a few popular novels I might have ignored. (Which is why The Time Traveler's Wife and Cold Mountain were two books I picked up at the used book sale.)

Then I mix in classics of the sci-fi/fantasy genre that I feel I need to read. In Yokosuka, when I first started reading fantasy, the book selection wasn't great. And then, due to my struggling with my preference for fantasy in high school, I've actually missed out on a lot of the "greats," filling my bookshelf with good, but rather not well-known, books and series instead.

On top of all that, I add in books that have been recommended to me, just look interesting, or suit whatever my current whimsy is. The result is a bit of a hodgepodge, but I feel like the miscellany of it all keeps my interest in reading fresh--I never weigh myself down by reading too many books of the genre in a row. I also try to keep it as fluid as possible, giving myself options within genre, so I don't ever feel like I "have" to read something, because that only stirs the adolescent rebellion and stubbornness in me. (Similar reasoning wisely prevents me from dieting.) The list ends up looking something like this:

The Current List:
1. Currently reading: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
2. YA Novels: either What Came from the Stars by (the world famous author) Gary Schmidt or Looking for Alaska by John Green
3. Classic: either 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne or Evelina by Frances Burney
4. Sci-Fi/Fantasy "Classic:" either The Dark Tower by Stephen King or The Earthsea Quartet by Ursula K. LeGuin
5. Literary: either Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson or On Beauty by Zadie Smith
6. Wild cards: Castle Waiting (a collection of a comic book series recommended to me by a friend) by Linda Medley, The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien (which I abandoned half-finished a year ago due to lack of time) or Lifespan of a Fact (a fascinating book on the construction of a "nonfiction" essay) by John D'Agata and Jim Fingal

Of course, this could all change on a whim or upon discovery of a new book. But this keeps me (somewhat) focused and the actual list to a (somewhat) manageable appearance.

1 comment:

  1. Commenting upon your list:
    1. Good book. Read it a few years ago now for a high school book club and fell very much in love.
    2. Wow! You're going to read a book by world-renown author Gary D. Schmidt! :D
    3. I had a children's abridged and illustrated version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I would flip through and piece together my own plot from the pictures and the comments beneath. I've always wondered how close my elementary school self got the real storyline.
    6. Castle Waiting can be read in installments if need be. I only binged it because the options were A) study for exams or B) enjoy some amazing fairy-tales. I continually chose the latter.

    Good luck in your reading. I look forward to knowing what you thought of each. : )

    ReplyDelete