Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Such Sweet Sorrow

On Tuesday, my dwindling vacation days hit me, leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. However, the fun wasn't over yet! We began the day with more Swedish pancakes and the movie Rurouni Kenshin, a Japanese film based on a cult anime of the same name (also called Samurai X in the U.S.).

This is what a vacation should look like.
But the adventure couldn't stop there. It was time to explore another pocket of Singapore, one that I'd been looking forward too all week, as it promised the delicious food and cheap kitsch that make my (sometimes) simple soul happy.

I spent the bus ride continuing a list of interesting words and names I had collected over the course of the trip--both research and a way for me to remain present throughout the trip, rather than slip into unobservant daydreams. It was a long ride, but soon characters overtook alphabets, signalling our arrival.




Our first stop was lunch. I got a good chuckle out of having Vietnamese food in Chinatown in Singapore. But her recommendation was spot on--not much was left in this bowl when I was done with it!


After lunch, we wound our way through the shops. I finally gave into the comfortable (if questionable) style of pirate/harem/M. C. Hammer pants. I won't admit how many times I've worn them since I've gotten back to the States--let's just say that my body adores being in these pants. 


The shops offered a lot to look at--bright souvenirs, breezy clothing, and even a beloved figure from European comics. After a few purchases, we decided we had exhausted our options and headed to one of our favorite kinds of places--a nearby coffee shop for some. I loved looking at the brightly-colored buildings on our way there, as well as small glimpses of everyday life.


I liked this place already!

Not only was it a coffee shop, it was also a cafe, bar, and a bookstore! All of the books lining the nooks and crannies are for sale. I, however, had brought my own--Brothers Karamazov. I have a habit of reading Russian literature over the summer. S, brought her netbook (probably just as heavy as my novel) to continue composing her masterful prose.

Who disturbs my creativity?

Interspersed throughout the books was an eccentric collection of old phones.
At sunset, the lights were dimmed as the cafe transitioned to a bar. When no reading light remained, we surrendered to the night and headed out.

For once, it wasn't an early night. Instead, we went to the mall, Vivo City, for some more shopping. The selection was just too cute and too reasonably priced for me to think about the confines of my carry-on suitcase. Practicality quickly returned, however. With our departures rapidly approaching, we had to (reluctantly) abandon our retail adventures to do some laundry and pack.

The next day was a continuation of our preparations. Mine were fairly simple: collect all of my scattered belongings and cram them into my luggage. S., however, had a more complicated task ahead of her: not only was she returning for an extended vacation at home in Sweden, she was also stopping in the UK to travel with old friends of hers. Around errands to the Central Business District to tie up loose ends, we managed to pack and clean, reinforcing the bittersweet fact of our leave=taking, a fact my mind was desperately trying to deny.

But the time came.

Dragging our suitcases down the hall of the empty, silent building, midnight came and went as we waited for our taxi. One week had already passed. The adventure was so nearly over; I found it hard to summon words as the cab took us to Changi Airport.

But I did my best at our last coffee shop conversation, knowing that it would be another long while before I enjoyed the company of S. Gabriel. We laughed and snacked on chai lattes and kaya toast (toast with butter and a coconut spread), while fellow travelers passed us by, trundling their suitcases under the eyes armed gurkhas.

Her plane left first; we hugged tightly and prayed for each other's long journeys.

I lost my words again.

No comments:

Post a Comment